Investigation; Title, Rationale, Aims, and Research Questions.

Investigation; Title, Rationale, Aim, and Questions.


I discussed my proposed topic with my lecturer today and after getting the go ahead on it I came up with the following Investigation proposal. 

Title:

The Benefits of a Properly Matched Turbo to an Engine in Relation to Fuel Economy

Rationale:

Reducing fuel consumption is one of the main priorities for auto manufacturers along with reducing emissions. Due to the threats posed by global warming and the rising fuel prices, people in the market for new vehicles usually look at these factors when comparing their options. It has been seen with vehicles like the 2011 Ford Focus EcoBoost that when an engine is fitted with a small turbo it can increase fuel economy and in turn, reduce emissions. This topic is of great interest to me as I hope to pursue a career in the performance or motor sport industry.  I feel that this research will be relevant to me as it will give me the knowledge of matching turbo size to engine flow to gain maximum efficiency and/or performance. I also hope that this research will serve as formula for correctly matching the size of a turbo to an engine's flow.  

Aims:

The main aim of this project is to find the benefits of turbocharging an engine in regards to fuel economy and how it improves fuel economy. Secondly, I intend to find a formula that can be used to determine what size turbo should be used for the flow of a certain engine. Thirdly, I want to find what level of boost pressure provides the most economical benefits before becoming more beneficial towards performance and hindering fuel economy. Finally, I want to find at what point the turbo size is more economical and when the benefits are more performance based when compared to the flow of the engine.

Research Questions:

1.  What are the benefits of having  turbocharged engine in terms of fuel economy.
2. How do you match the flow of an engine to turbo size.
3. What boost pressure is used for economy focused turbocharged vehicles and at what boost pressure does it become more performance focused.
4. In relation to engine flow, what size turbo is most beneficial for fuel economy and when does it become too big making it beneficial for performance and reduces fuel economy.

Weekly Reflection:

I was glad to find that my proposed study topic met the requirements of the course because I feel that it is a topic that will give me motivation to complete my work to a high standard and keep up with my schedule. I think this course will be very beneficial to me in the knowledge I will gain from this investigation and the research skill I will gain.

Comments