Revised Research Questions & Literature Review Continued

Revised Research Questions & Literature Review Continued


Revised Research Questions:

1. Main Question: How does a turbocharger increase fuel economy?
2. How do you match the flow of an engine to turbo size theoretically and practically?
3. How does boost pressure effect the bias of fuel economy and performance?
4. How do different styles of turbocharging effect fuel economy? e.g. Single turbo, twin turbo, sequential turbo, bi-turbo.

   A class mate of mine suggested that my research questions could do with better wording as well making them open for a larger return of information. I took his advise and came up with the questions above and can now see when comparing them that it was definitely some good advice. 

Literature Review Continued: 

   Emissions are a major threat to the health of our planet which is the main driving point behind the effort to make vehicle more fuel efficient. When a vehicles burns less fuel it is obviously creating less emissions. Therefore, I focused a portion of my literature review on emissions production and the effects the emissions have on us and the planet. 

   Fuel standards are made to keep emissions down so I felt it was necessary to include them in the literature review. Also, the increase in fuel prices has caused customers to look at more fuel efficient vehicles, which manufacturers have taken advantage of. 

   I also thought it would good to include some information about engines which achieve great fuel economy and a little on how they do so. This included the 3-cylinder turbo engine and the 4-cylinder turbo engine which are featured in the most fuel efficient cars available. The 3-cylinder turbo engines I discussed were the ones found in the Ford Fiesta, Peugeot 2008 SUV, and the Skoda Fabia. The 4-cylinder engines I touched on were the ones found in the Honda-City Turbo in 1982, and the Nissan SuperTurbo in 1989. 

Weekly Reflection: 

   This week I found some good information to back up my project and I'm happy with the way the proposal is going. I learnt a lot about what manufacturers are doing to create fuel efficient vehicle. I'm excited to progress with the project next semester because I think I will learn a lot about a subject I'm interested in and want to make a career in.  



Comments